Starting with the Chicken with Balsamic Fig Sauce Recipe
Due to an unbalanced diet and lifestyle espically for us Pakistanis where our main dish is made out of oil, most of us are suffering from overweight issues and diabetes. I personally love this recipe as it provides a blend of both protein rich diet while being a healthy recipe for diabetic patients. The recipe includes figs that I love to eat in snacks. Nowadays it is very hard to find good recipes that are rich in taste yet provide a healthy diet for the diabetic.
This recipe can also serve a purpose for athletes who are looking for a calorie and fat free diet. The recipe is pretty easy and quick while fancy enough for a dinner party. I always start off with listing down the ingredients, rather than placing everything at the end.
What you will need to make a chicken with balsamic fig sauce?
- 4, six ounces boneless skinless chicken breast cut in halves.
- Half tea spoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves divided
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon grounded black pepper
- 3/4 cup of chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar (secret ingredient)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped dried figs
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
How to start with cooking a chicken with balsamic fig sauce?
As I said earlier, cooking this recipe is super quick and easy.
- Start off by sprinkling chicken with thyme leaves ¼ teaspoon salt and freshly grounded black pepper. Massage the paste over the chicken and make sure each area is covered adequately.
- Add some oil in a skillet and place it on a stove at medium heat. Add all of the chicken into the skillet and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or until they are done. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep it in a warm place as you will now make the sauce in the same pan.
- To enhance the flavor of the recipe, I replaced oil with butter to make the sauce as it will be the main ingredient that will make the dish. Add one tablespoon butter with onions and cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar and figs into the pan and keep stirring till the sauce is reduced to almost a cup. According to my calculation, this process will take 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of thyme with ¼ teaspoon of salt and reduce the heat to minimum. Remove the pan from stove after one to two minutes.
How to serve a chicken with balsamic fig sauce?
To serve the dish cut the chicken breasts lengthwise into slices and add the sauce on top of the chicken. The sauce of this recipe will serve as its gravy so while serving, make sure each chicken slice gets a taste of the sauce.
The recipe comes in fine dining while keeping in mind that the dish will be served to a diabetic. The amount of ingredients use can yield 4 servings with a nutrition value of 355 calories, 41g protein, 11g fat, 2.1mg iron, 3g fiber and 71mg calcium.